- Acquire knowledge of English grammar and develop accuracy in the use of English.
- Understand the complex dynamics of literary genres.
- Acquire the capability to interpret texts with critical, aesthetic, and ethical sensitivity.
- Acquire the knowledge of the range of periods of English literature, its genres, and the critical traditions.
- Develop a broad knowledge and understanding of the cultural contexts, and theoretical dimensions of the subject and the presentation of themes in the reading of texts.
- Understand the literary, cultural and socio-historical contexts in which literature is written and read.
- Develop an awareness of the depth and complexity of human existence, perceived across the boundaries of time, place, culture, race, ethnicity and gender.